Wednesday, August 26, 2009

To Olympic or not to Olympic....


That is the question...Im very torn on this topic. As a hardcore hockey fan, I love the Olympics, its very entertaining, meaningful hockey that only comes around once every 4 years, plus its a great way to promote the stars of the league on a truly global level. Theres something about representing your country that gets these guys really amped up to play. But as a Flyers fan, I have to admit I'm a little worried about potentially having 5 guys, (Timonen, Pronger, Gagne, Richards, & Carter) playing in Vancouver this Feburary and potentially putting themselves at risk for injury. I realize that Olympic hockey is nowhere near as physical as a regular NHL game, but its easy to take a slap shot off the foot or pull a groin. The last thing I want to see is our season get ruined because one of our key guys missing significant time due to an injury they suffered at the Olympics or for that matter, Olympic training camp (hello Simon). I think back to Peter Forsberg at the 2006 games in Torino, he was having all kind of foot/groin problems and couldnt suit up for many Flyers games, but was willing to due whatever it took to play for Sweeden, not really caring about what potential harm he could do to himself & the Flyers that season. Ill be watching every minute of every Olympic game this winter, but I think I wont be rooting for a specific country, instead I'll be rooting for our guys not to get hurt. (For the record, I dont think Gags makes Canada's team)

No comments:

Post a Comment